Kevin Roche (kproche) wrote,
Kevin Roche
kproche

  • Mood:

January 29-Jan 31: Shoulders, Mutants and Lamps (oh My!)

Saturday I started work on the patterns for the bamboo slat cladding for the shoulder section. I also decided to build a friend.




Cutting the pattern pieces for the shoulder cladding -- center front section
Yes, I'm using wine cases. The corrugated cardboard is a good analog for the bamboo roller blinds
Cutting the pattern pieces for the shoulder cladding -- center front section
Shoulder cladding, front section, side view
Shoulder cladding, front section, side view
Shoulder cladding -- side/back pattern (left side)
Shoulder cladding -- side/back pattern (left side)
Shoulder cladding pattern, center back view
For this pattern piece I got clever and pre-rolled it around a cardboard mailing tube. That gave me straight flex lines about every 1/2", almost identical to the bamboo slats in the roller blind
Shoulder cladding pattern, center back view
SIde/back pattern piece for shoulder cladding
SIde/back pattern piece for shoulder cladding
Center front pattern piece for shoulder cladding
Center front pattern piece for shoulder cladding
Roller blind from which to cut shoulder cladding -- with a modification
The blind has been spray glued to canvas backing, so when I cut through strings while cutting the cladding pieces, the slats will stay together.
Roller blind from which to cut shoulder cladding -- with a modification
Cutting out a mutant
While the glue cured, I decided to whip up a Kaled mutant to put under the dome. I'm using Cosmic Lizard spandex left over from building Conrad T Lizard
Cutting out a mutant
Closeup of the cosmic lizard fabric
Closeup of the cosmic lizard fabric
Kaled Mutant, MK I
Stitched and turned, but not stuffed yet
Kaled Mutant, MK I
Kaled Mutant, Mk I, eyeball detail
The Eye is a flat disk with a bloodshot eye printed on it from our Evil Genius decor eyeball beaded curtain
Kaled Mutant, Mk I, eyeball detail
Then Sunday, I set out to finish the shoulders. I got part way done, and did more work on my mutant.
Center front shoulder cladding!
I cut this (complicated) piece out with abrasive wheels and a Dremel. It took too long and made way too much dust, but it fits great! (A few slats came unglued; I reglued them to the canvas)
Center front shoulder cladding!
Shoulder cladding, center front, side view
You can see how nicely the piece wraps around the frame and the gun box
Shoulder cladding, center front, side view
Shoulder cladding bamboo marked out for side pieces
Shoulder cladding bamboo marked out for side pieces
Bamboo marked out for other side piece.
I took a scrap of the bamboo/canvas in to the shop at work and the machinists and I determined that I *can* cut this on a bandsaw. These pieces are simple smooth curves, so that's how I'm going to cut these out.
Bamboo marked out for other side piece.
Kaled Mutant, Mk II
Here's the mutant with the brain case cut down to a better size and hand quilted, and the eyeball redone.
Kaled Mutant, Mk II
Kaled Mutant Mk II, Eyeball detail
I took the flat bead and put a translucent dome (cut from a gumball machine novelty capsule) over it. The eye socket is a flattened tube of spandex ringing the edges of the eye and hand stitched in place, and the eyelid is a doubled half-moon of the fabric handstitched over both.
Kaled Mutant Mk II, Eyeball detail
Is that a Mutant on your head or are you just happy to see me?
The Kaled is stitched to a black golf cap, so I can wear him on my head. This way I can leave the cane screen fairly open, and if people peek in they'll see more of the Kaled than they do of me.
Is that a Mutant on your head or are you just happy to see me?
Kaled Mutant Mk II Eye closeup
Kaled Mutant Mk II Eye closeup
Kaled Mutant Mk II Eye detail (different angle)
Kaled Mutant Mk II Eye detail (different angle)
Finally, today (Monday, Jan 31) I had the opportunity to use the drill press in the shop at work, so I took my Forstner bits with me and cut the mounting bores in the acrylic salt and pepper shakers for the dome.
The new dome light capsules -- Acrylic salt and pepper shakers drilled for 3/8
The new dome light capsules -- Acrylic salt and pepper shakers drilled for 3/8
Closeup of salt-shaker lamp shroud
Closeup of salt-shaker lamp shroud
Closeup of lamp lens on dome
Closeup of lamp lens on dome
Another view of the shaker lamp lenses
Another view of the shaker lamp lenses




So tomorrow: Take the rest of the rolled up bamboo shades to cut with the bandsaw in the hack shop at work (with permission from the shop manager, of course). I'm now just waiting for one final component to build the lift mechanism for the neck section.
Tags: conventions, costume, doctor who, project tdk, silliness, tiki dalek
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 6 comments