Kevin Roche (kproche) wrote,
Kevin Roche
kproche

  • Location:
  • Mood:

First weekend of work on Project TDK

This weekend I got started on the Tiki Dalek.





Earlier this month, I bought a copy of Alibre Design so I could model the framework properly in 3D and design the parts. It's definitely been worth the investment.
3d Model for inner frame of Project TDK
3d Model for inner frame of Project TDK
3d projection from my working design for the inner frame of the Tiki Dalek. The gun box is tilted up because there is a hinge at the back to allow the costume to open up for climbing in.
Step One: Prepare the Workspace
Saturday I was going to haul a bunch of stuff to our storage unit so I could work in the garage on this rainy weekend. I ended up actually making two trips and really tidying up A LOT in the garage. Now there's room 4 for all 4 motorcycles and plus about a 12x10 area for construction at the inner end. It also let me organize my tools a little bit.
If you'd ever seen our garage, you'd know what a HUGE change this is :-)
Step one: Plenty of room to work in the garage!
Step one: Plenty of room to work in the garage!
Cutting diagram
Cutting diagram
I also realized that by modifying the dimensions of the plate at the top of the skirt slightly, and with careful cutting, I could get all the main pieces out of one 4x8 sheet of thinner plywood, and then laminate two thinner bottom bases together for increased strength. The staff at Home Despot were kind enough to slice the 4'x8' sheet into the 4 rectangles for me; that made it much easier to load everything into the Forester, too!
Cutting and Drilling layout for the first base plate
Cutting and Drilling layout for the first base plate
Cutting and layout marks for the first base
Cutting and layout marks for the first base
cutting and drilling markup for the footwell in the base plate
cutting and drilling markup for the footwell in the base plate
Layout marks for rear casters
Layout marks for rear casters
one of these two is a locking swivel caster. The other, and both up front, are non-locking swivel casters
Drilling and placement template for the front casters.
Drilling and placement template for the front casters.
These are 4" wheel casters, so Project TDK should be pretty speedy even on carpet
Two (one on top of the other) bottom base plates all cut out.
Two (one on top of the other) bottom base plates all cut out.
Another View of the base plates
Another View of the base plates
Today's progress: 2 lower bases and 4  main struts.
Today's progress: 2 lower bases and 4 main struts.


Tags: costume, doctor who, gallifrey one, project tdk, tiki dalek
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 3 comments