April 14th, 2012

Jungleboy Transparent

Rebuilding ThinBot, Attempt One: Back to the Drawing Board

The Anko pumps are much beefier (over a pound apiece), so I got a new set of panels and set out to rebuild the pump head portion of ThinBot, with blue LEDs behind each pump rotor.

Everything looked great until I tried to assemble the four panels into the head assembly and discovered that the pump motors collided with each other.

Along the way, I figured out a bunch of things for the second attempt, so the effort was not entirely time wasted.


Collapse )

As I said, back to the drawing board.
Jungleboy Transparent

Back to the Drawing Board: ThinBot Rebuild, Attempt Two

Having identified the interference problem with the pump motors, I took a break and built a new cable for the control unit.

Collapse )


I also mocked up the design for the new mounting panels:

Collapse )


Satisfied that the new design would work, I set out to build it, and assemble the works:
Collapse )

Next post: assembled with new hoses.
Jungleboy Transparent

ThinBot: Rebuild (nearly complete!)

Here are a couple of photos of ThinBot after installing the full-length food-grade Norprene tubing.

Collapse )

I also did a quick calibration test of one pump, it delivered almost exactly the 100ml requested. The new hoses also maintain better vacuum back to the pump, so the nozzle drips almost not at all when dispensing ends.

Next step (this weekend): build the bell ringer and glass detectors, which are not necessary for ThinBot to perform properly but will definitely add some zing.